This post may contain Affiliate links. Click here to view our full disclosure.
A dear friend of mine recently sent me a message to ask me if I was busy for the day? Now, mind you normally this friend never asks such a question so I knew she must really need me. So I quickly replied that she could come by whenever she wanted to.I keep racking my brain as I was moving things around I had planned for the day. What in the world could she possibly need? Then it dawned on me while I was washing dishes it was on that particular day a year ago that her father had passed away. I felt so honored that she chose our home to be her refuge for the day.
How many times have we had a friend in need and yet instead of clearing a few things from our schedules we offer a few quick words then move on. I myself am very guilty of this. As a mom of 4, I find every moment of my day slam packed full of something that needs to be done.As I have said time and time again we are our children’s biggest role models. They watch what we do, the way we brush people off and the way we actually show people we care. So what kind of friend will your children be able to say you were? Did you choose to reach out to those friends in need or did you simply just not have time? I am finding more an more that it isn’t that a lack of time is the problem. In fact, it is more of the lack of effort. In order to teach our children the importance of being a good friend, we ourselves must strive to be one. This means being willing to be present when needed and offering a helping hand when we can.
Ways to Reach Out:
Are you unsure of some ways that you can reach out to those friends in need? Then look no further…..
- Phone calls~ A phone call from a friend can be a powerful thing. I can’t tell you how many times I have been encouraged by someone who thought enough to pick up the phone and just check on me.
- Dinner/Lunch~ Now this can be taken to them or even taking them out. It doesn’t really matter. Either way will show them that you care.
- Movie Time~ Do you and your friend have a favorite movie? Time to pull out your copy, pop some popcorn and enjoy.
- Secret Gifts~ I once had a friend mail me (and my family) secret gifts. It truly was the greatest blessing.
- Bake Off~ Need a way to keep the kids busy AND reach out to your friend. How about baking them some cookies, brownies or whatever yummy goodness you can come up with.
Now, these are just a few ideas but as you know the possibilities are endless.
Do you have a relationship with a friend that needs a little love? Then it is time to get creative and do a little reaching out.
Until Next Time Just Keep Soaring 4 Him,
I would like to invite you to my Facebook group Christian Homemakers in Training where we dive into homemaking, motherhood, marriage and group devotions. After all, we all need a safe place to grow together, right?