This post may contain Affiliate links. Click here to view our full disclosure.
A Biblical marriage is a beautiful union. If managed correctly, it can be an earthly reminder of Christ and the Church. Sadly, we live in a secular world whom no longer sees marriage as such a union and, therefore, they can not see the beauty that a Biblically sound marriage can provide.
Marriage in today’s eyes is no longer viewed as a permanent union. Instead, marriage is viewed as a union that we can get out of at any time we deem appropriate (note: I do believe that there are times that divorce is warranted). If our husband doesn’t make us the center of his world than divorce must be the answer. If our marriage begins to take a little work on our part then instead of rolling up our sleeves we should file a divorce. Of course, if we no longer deem our husband as attractive then this too warrants a divorce…..At least, all these reasons seem to be reasonable if we view marriage as the secular world does.
Here’s the thing, marriage isn’t so quickly resolved. The Bible tells us when we are married that we are bonded together and made one person in the sight of God. The truth is that there are no perfect marriages. Even if you think Mr. and Mrs. So and so has the perfect marriage it simply isn’t the case. The difference, however, is their willingness to work for their marriage, their understanding of the importance of protecting their marriage and their desire to put God first before themselves.
- Putting God at the very center.
- A willingness to work together.
- Mutual respect for one another.
- An understanding that storms will enter into your marriage.
- Faith that your marriage will be favored by God.
In a secular world, God simply is no longer at the center of a marriage. Instead, if we allow them to dictate how our marriage should be it is the same as allowing our sinful nature to take center fold. We have allowed ourselves to buy into the lie that our lives should always run smooth as butter, forgetting that there will be storms along the way. We forget that weathering those storms are growth building that actually can help our marriages to flourish.
So How Do We Have a Biblical Marriage in a Secular World?
- Study and equip ourselves with scripture pertaining to marriage and God’s design for it.
- Pray over your marriage on a regular basis.
- Dare to stand out and be different.
- Be openly willing to express to others the blessings that come from striving to achieve a Biblical marriage.
- Remind yourselves often that your marriage is between God, you and your husband….No one else.
- Refuse to allow yourselves to give up on your marriage.Even in the hard times when walking away seems easier.
Sustaining a marriage in such a secular world is not easy. However, I believe that it is certainly obtainable.We must be willing to work for it.
Until Next Time Just Keep Soaring 4 Him,
I would like to invite you to my Facebook group Christian Homemakers in Training where we dive into homemaking, motherhood, marriage and group devotions. After all, we all need a safe place to grow together, right?